Friday, October 10, 2014

Easy Homemade Laundry Detergent

Happy Frugal Friday!

 Since I conveniently ran out of laundry detergent and had to make some today, I figured I show you how I do it.

Here are the things you'll need :


I usually buy mine at Walmart.

The Borax and the Washing Soda are both 3.97 or there about. The Fels Naptha is .97 At first glance $9 seems like a lot of money but it really is very cheap considering I make dishwasher detergent and a degreaser spray from them as well.

Here is how you make laundry detergent:

2 cups of Borax

2 cups of Washing Soda

1 bar Fels Naptha (you can use another type of bar soap if you choose. I like the Fels Naptha for the scent and the cleaning power)

grate the Fels Naptha and add all three together. mix well.



I found this awesome little food processor at the thrift store this week. Before this I was hand grating using a box grater. The food processor is soooo much quicker and easier!

This is what my grated soap looks like.

I put it all into a disposable storage container. Eventually I'll upgrade to a fancier, prettier container but for now this works for me.



Add a 1/4 cup to the washer before the clothes while the water is filling. This gives it a chance to start dissolving (although I've never had a problem with it not dissolving)

Add the clothes and wash as usual. :)

For fabric softener I use Mrs Meyers lavender scented fabric softener.




But to be more frugal this is how I use it:

In another of the storage containers I dilute the fabric softener with water half and half. Then I place a couple of sponges that I cut in half into the bucket. Keep them in there until you need them.

To use place a well squeezed out sponge in the dryer with your wet clothes. This one bottle should last many months. I personally do 4 loads of laundry nearly every day. I haven't even made a dent in the amount of fabric softener. I expect it to last me nearly a year!


 Being frugal can be easy. Hope you give it a try...

No comments:

Post a Comment