Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Deconstructing a dress to make an Apron part 1


I found this cute little handmade Halloween dress at the local St. Vincent de Paul thrift store 2 or 3 years ago and, even though it is a size or two too small, I had to buy it.



The front has a large "Broomzelda" at the chest. The back has cute little pumpkins.












The front

Around the bottom
Around the bottom



 This dress just screamed, "I'm an Apron!" at me a few days ago so I decided to get to work on it.










First, I removed the rear seam using a pair of scissors. I would have preferred to use a seam ripper but I couldn't find mine. OH to be organized some day!











Then I cut across the back shoulder area leaving a flap with the buttons at the shoulders too. 


I haven't decided if I want to leave this with a straight edge or to round the corners. What do you all think?


At this point I had to stop and make dinner. I'll probably continue this evening or tomorrow afternoon. I haven't decided which.


As soon as I do I will post here. 




What's for dinner you ask?



Baked Ziti the Easy way.

actually today I used penne. <giggle> so it's really baked penne but don't tell my kids that!


To make Easy Baked Ziti (or penne or whatever noodle shape you have)

1 pound box of pasta

1 jar pasta sauce

1/2 pound shredded Italian cheese

That's IT! so easy!

Preheat your oven to 350⚬   
Pour the box of pasta into a baking dish.( I personally use foil disposable pans for this as they hold more than my baking dishes do. Maybe time for a bigger baking dish?)

Add the pasta sauce.

Fill the empty pasta jar with water and dump into dish. Do this twice or as close to twice as possible. 

Stir it all together.

Add 3/4 of the cheese and stir it in. Save the rest for later.

Cover with foil and bake for about an hour. Check it after 45 minutes. You don't want it to be too dry.

Uncover, add the rest of the cheese to the top and let sit 5 minutes til it melts.



Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment